Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Taking on God's Challenge Day 2

Day 2: I feel strong and alert.  I am aware of the fact that I have not eaten but it does not dominate my thoughts.

A common occurrence when for me when I fast is that like to bake bread. It was something that I started many years ago as a way to meditate while keeping my body busy. I have and would bake at other times as well, but certainly when I am fasting it is one of my favorite things to do. Last night I decided on a Herb and Cheese pull apart bread because it is something that I have promised a couple of parishioners (from sometime ago I might add) and I had what I needed to get it done.  While I was in the process of preparing the bread, I also decided to pre-make dinner for children tonight and wash up the dishes. This whole process kept me up kinda late but I was compelled to complete my tasks.

This is the basis for my writing today on fasting. I have often felt more determination to complete my works while I was under a fast and I wonder how coincidental that is. Jesus tells his disciples after a failed attempt to heal a little boy that "This kind does not go out except by fasting and prayer" (Matthew 17:21 NASB). We know that He was talking specifically about the boy and his illness but there is a much greater application; "this KIND". Is this a reference to person to person healing or something even greater than that. I do not compare my baking to healing an ailing child, but i can see the ties that make them related.

In the days ahead, I will be interested to see of this 'unction to function' will continue or the physical demands become more dominating. Although this is not my first time fasting in this way or for this duration, I am approaching this with new eyes for I know that God is doing in me. Not FOR me, but through me in preparation for a greater thing that I can not at this moment comprehend. The joy in my heart at that thought excites me.

My prayer,

Lord strengthen me past the limitations of my own mind and body. Help me to see Your Spirit all around me show me Your ways that I may grow my understanding of You and my purpose in You in this kingdom of Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment